Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Author Interview with Sylvia Hubbard


Creative Expressions Literary Services is pleased to announce Virtual Book Tour for Beautiful by Sylvia Hubbard. The tour will run July 23-August 6, 2017.
Publication Date: July 7, 2017
Genre: Romance and Suspense
Paperback: 324 pages

Tell us a little about yourself and your background? I’m a happily divorced mother of three, living in Detroit and loving life.
According to my mother, I used to lie to her when I was young (about six years old) and she would punishment me by making me write my lie down. I found that my lies look better on paper than verbally. My pain became my life’s pleasure.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I’d love to be able to just sit down and write all day, market and social media manage
in the evening and then go out on dates with my beau at night, then wake up and
start the day over again, just like that.

What are you working on at the minute?
The Murderer’s Lover – about a woman who finds out she had a one night stand with a possible serial killer…and she wants to again.

Are you a pantser, plotter, a little of both?
I’m clearly a pantser. I just sit down and start to write. Usually at the worst part in my characters life and then roll ahead from there.

Do you have any tech tools that help you with your output?
I have this awesome electronic pen that I use to write out my stories when inspiration hits me. It records my strokes electronically and I can even save what I have written to be downloaded later and sometimes even digitally typed. I list other items that help me in my writer’s life on my website https://howtoebook.org/products/amazonproducts/

Do you put yourself on a schedule with a word or page count goal?
I never have a word or page count goal, I write until I’m tired. I know I’m
addicted to writing so overall a day, I should have produced about 10,000
words. Whether it’s from blogging, copyrighting, work writing, status messages
or fiction writing.

When did you decide to become a writer?
The day I met Beverly Jenkins. I saw someone like me who was an author and knew I could be an author too. She’s my Shero. Where do you do most of your writing? Up until Mother’s Day of this year, I did most of my writing lying  or sitting In bed. My beau fixed up an office for me at home and I’m happy as a lark.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Believe in your idea and bring your writings in your head to fruition because you do not want to die with them inside of your brain. There is no download or recovery. There’s just you not leaving a legacy.

Do you write full-time or part-time? I’m a part-time writer.
I have three kids and as a busy single mom, I still need a benefit job to support braces, glasses, really great health care until they are I don’t mind the sacrifice. I love being a mom and I handle my writing career around my “benefit” job like a pro.

With this being your 40th book you must have figured out a way to be so prolific.
Get to work. Use every second of the day to be proactive at something. Stop telling myself I’m going to do it and just do it. And most of all, stop getting caught up on what I couldn’t do or accomplish and just try to do better the next day. I always love hearing about an author's writing process so can you tell us about some bits of yours? When I need a lot of emotion in a scene especially when it comes to expressing how characters feel about something very strongly, an argument or even a powerful seduction seen, I have to literally talk it out and hear the convo out loud before I can write it down. I also hate complete silence. I have to have music playing or the tv running for white noise to I can concentrate.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
In so many ways. I read my earlier work and I’m like wow I’ve grown. From listening to my editors, to learning more about my craft, I think my stories have grown creatively exponentially.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
Getting everyone in my family to respect my writing time and giving over the story to the character to let them finish telling it.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
For a three hundred page book, (about 100 thousand words) it takes me about four
months when I sit my butt in a chair at least four times a week for about an hour.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 10 years? 5 years
I hope to be traveling and speaking more about writing publishing and marketing, plus single busy mummying. In ten years, I hope to be a relaxing on the beach, just writing books and skyping speaking events. LOL

What other genres do you write?
Suspense Romance with a touch of noir, erotic, thriller, adventure, action, women’s contemporary, urban and/or drama. So someone will fall in love and someone will die, but I’m not sure what order it will come in.

Did you do any research for the book, Beautiful?
If so, how did you do it? (Searching Internet, magazines, other books, etc.) For Beautiful, Madison spliced plant DNA in order to create super veggies. I had to under a lot about DNA, extraction techniques and proper growth techniques. She also came up with beauty products naturally made and I had to get into a lot of organic techniques on how to make beauty products naturally. It was a fun
journey and I enjoyed learning how to do those things.

What about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

The strength of Madison and the journey she had to take to find the strength she already had inside of her. People will learn you really make diamonds from pressure and love – agape love between a man and woman can be shared in so many different ways, but you really have to love from your heart to understand it and receive it.

Do you have a saying or motto for your life and/or as a writer?
Never give anyone the keys to drive you crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment