Thursday, January 5, 2017

Author Interview with Vulyncia Poindexter


Hi Vulyncia Poindexter, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
It’s truly my pleasure. A little about me, I am a graduate of Murray State University with a BA in Social Work. I have two beautiful children both girls, currently residing in Kentucky. I started my writing journey being signed to One Karma Publishing in 2012, who released my first poetry book Timeless Clock. After two years I parted ways with me and became a self-published author re-releasing my first book Timeless Clock and releasing another poetry book Timeless Ink in 2014. I released my first urban novel Falling Into Temptation in the Fall of 2016.
What are your ambitions foryour writing career?
With my poetry books Timeless Clock and Timeless Ink I wanted to touch others and let them know that they are not alone in the things they go through in life, love, sex, and just day to day problems with face. With my novels, my ambition was to create something that I as an avid reader would want to read, also for someone to get just as excited and passionate about my characters as I am.

Which writers inspire you?
More than I can truly name Author Untamed, Omegia Keeys, Frank X Walker, Mary Morrison, Eric Jerome Dickey, Zane.

What are you working on at the minute?
Currently I’m working on part 2 of Falling into Temptation and also Boss Queens Stiletto Mafioso, a book I am co-authoring with Author Untamed.

What genre are your books and why?
My first two books are poetry books, because poetry has always been my first love my connection to the disorganized thoughts that allows me to connect the dots. My urban erotic fiction, not because that’s how I plan to write but because that’s the way it flowed out as I wrote.

In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Everything I am is everything I write with no apologize.

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book? 
If I had to pick one character, I’d have to pick Vanessa Williams.

When did you decide to become a writer? 
Writing chose me to be completely honest. I’d have to say when I was 13 that’s when I really got into poetry and writing my dreams down.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
Part-time.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I sit down and write at night time when my children fall asleep, mainly because I don’t have worry about being interrupted. Throughout the day I write down whatever comes to mind so that I can come back to it later.

Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Not really I write until I can’t any more, or I’m interrupted.

Where do your ideas come from?
Everything gives me ideas. I love listening to music and looking at pictures the most.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I prefer to just see where an idea takes me. I’m not the best when it comes to structure.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
A lot, I’ve allowed myself to be exposed to more creative outlets and doing more short stories outside of hat I would normally write.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
Staying focused. With novels I get so many different story lines in my head and different ideas that I want to write about that I have to make myself kind of stay on one book so that it can get done.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Finishing it. It took me three years to finish Falling into Temptation. A year after starting it I was about 85-90% done with the book and lost almost everything knocking me down to only having the first few chapters done.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
Creating the characters into who I want them to be.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
A year, I’m a perfectionist when it comes to my writing.

Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
A solid career in counseling and a total of 7-8 books under my belt written under a different name.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
Don’t wait, go after what you want no matter what others think.

Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Maya Angelou, because she was a writer on both the poetic and novel side. She opened her mouth an built up wisdom flowed out with no effort.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
That’s a tough one, I’d have to say Moby Dick. It was the first “adult” books I read in elementary and was my absolute fav.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Learn everything first hand, being with a publisher is great but it’s not all there is. Take pride in your work. DO NOT CUT CORNERS, you need an editor and someone who is really going to give you the straight truth about your writing. Do it for the love of writing because if you do it for the love of money, you won’t get the same pleasure from it.


Facebook:






Falling Into Temptation



Timeless Clock




Timeless Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment