Thursday, October 5, 2017

Author Interview with LaToya Martin

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
As of now, since I'm a new author, I'm focusing on expanding and establishing a loyal readership. I also want to be a versatile author who writes books that cater to adults as well as children. Ultimately, I want to leave a mark in Christian fiction and be a blessing through my writing.

Which writers inspire you? I love Michelle Stimpson! She has an amazing writing style and has been a consistent presence in the African American Christian Fiction genre. I'm also inspired by writers such as Kimberly Cash Tate, Norma Jarrett, Francine Rivers and my childhood best friend, Toni Shiloh.

What are you working on at the minute?
I'm currently working on the sequel to Pain's Purpose and a children's book.

What genre are your books and why?
Christian Fiction, my relationship with Christ is extremely important so what's in me manifests in my writing.  I also believe that even though my novel is fiction the message of hope in Christ is embedded within each page. I pray that it falls into the hands of someone who doesn't know God so the seed of God's love and power can be planted in their life!

In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Aspiring to showcase the love Christ in everything I write.

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
I think Dawn-Lyen Gardner would bring Talia William to life!

When did you decide to become a writer?
I've loved to write since childhood. I did a lot of writing in high school but don’t think I ever imagined it leaving my spiral notebooks. I actually started writing Pain's Purpose in high school and worked on it through the years when I could since I was busy with school. Last year, over ten years since its inception, I decided to start the publishing process and make my dream become a reality.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
Part-time

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I wish. Unfortunately, my schedule is so hectic and it's hard for me to write every day. I try to take advantage of my vacations, I'm a teacher, to get a lot of writing done.

Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day?
I don't. I'm a "go with the flow" kind of writer. When something comes to me, no matter where I am, I jot it down and find time to merge all of my random ideas into a cohesive flow.

Where do your ideas come from?
I consider my writing a gift from God. I'm just a vessel that He uses. I also pull from life experiences whether personal or from people that I know.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I just see where the ideas take me. I try to have an outline or brainstorm ideas but that never works for me!

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
I think I'm better able to express myself than in the past. I strive to write in a way which makes it easy for the readers to envision the characters and become engrossed in the storylines.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
For me, it's finding the time to sit down and write. It can be challenging to balance work, being a single parent, church involvement, an attempt at a social life 😉and writing.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Deciding whether to wrap up the story in one book or create a series.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
Writing, in and of itself. Once I get into a groove it comes easily.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
I've only written one and it took over ten years! I'm positive that the sequel won’t take nearly as long especially since I have a lot of people on me about finishing it. I can’t keep the readers waiting too long!

Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Hopefully, in five years, I will have figured out the best way to effectively reach my target audience and the art of marketing my books. I pray I have a strong readership and will have published several books.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
Make time for your love of writing and don’t be afraid to take the leap to self-publishing.

Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
 Anyone who knows me can tell you my answer would be Michael Jackson! I love his music and wish I could have went to one of his concerts before his passing.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Gain knowledge from others who have been successful. Your book may be great, but if you don’t have the necessary tools or motivation to market it, it will just be book enjoyed by family and friends. Believe in your work but remain humble. Take chances and put yourself/your book out there.

Connect with LaToya Martin:





Purchase Links:




No comments:

Post a Comment