Thursday, November 2, 2017

Author Interview with Colin Guest

LaToya: Hi Colin Guest, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Colin: I am a retired Englishman living in Turkey for the past 25 years. I have worked in 15 countries spread through the Middle, Far East & North Africa, and lived a life most only dream. Apart from my writing I am keen on environmental and wild life issues, and support several organisations re this. I have adopted a tiger for the past twelve years, and also worked as a volunteer at wild animal rescue centers in South Africa and Thailand.
LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Colin: I would like to have one of my books made into a film. In conjunction with Voyage Media I prepared a pilot episode for what they think could be suitable for a television series. This is based on my memoir. Follow in the Tigerman’s Footsteps, sub-titled The Adventurous Life of an Expat
LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Colin: James Paterson, Lee Child, Tom Clancy, Eric Von Lustbader, Vince Ryan and Robert Ludlum
LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
I am presently completing A Dangerous Love Affair. This is a romantic novel mixed with erotica and life-threatening events.
LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Colin: I have written in both Fiction and Non-fiction genres, but think it best that I concentrate on Fiction only. The reason being, readers usually only associate an author with one or the other genre, not both.
LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Colin: Think positive to obtain positive results.
LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Nicole Kidman and Tom Hanks
LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Colin: I joined a correspondence writing course in 1985, and first started to write while working in Brunei. Due to problems after a change of tutor I stopped the course. Since retiring, I now spend a lot of my time writing, books, articles and poetry.
LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Colin: I write part time as my wife and I go out every day for a walk. If I spent all my time writing, we would not be able to enjoy such a great life as we do now.
LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I have no special time, but usually write in the mornings and evenings in between following the latest news events and being out and about with my wife.
LaToya: Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day?
Colin: No. Due to being unable to type, except by using one finger, which I am pretty quick at doing, I am unable to get done as much as I would like. I think I must get a copy of Dragon, the voice activated program. This should make things much easier for me.
LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Colin: They just spring to mind. It could be I see or hear something that I think could be suitable to use as the basis for a possible story.
LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
Colin: No, I don’t work to either an outline or a plot. I just let my mind work things out as I go. At my age, I have quite a good imagination. I don’t find it difficult to work out how the story should go.
LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Colin: I think I am getting better. This is partly due to reading tips from various sources I follow online. Also, I learn from reading what I have written.
LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Colin: Accepting that on reading through what I wrote that it needs revising. This is where a good editor is essential to get things as best as possible.
LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Colin: Finding the time to go through it and revising bits and pieces to make it better for readers to enjoy.
LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Colin: I find it relaxing, and never have a problem in sitting down and writing. Once I start, I do not suffer from writers’ block.
LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Colin: depends on what I am writing. A short book only takes a few weeks. My memoir took around a year, and the novel I am now completing about six months.
LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Colin: Hopefully, as an author who has written the kind of books readers enjoy reading. All being well, one of my books will be used as the basis for a film. That would be the icing on the cake.
LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Colin: Start earlier, and not stop the writing course I started back in 1985. This I did after my tutor was changed to one who could not believe the true stories I wrote were true.
LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Ataturk, the creator of the Turkish Republic. Not only was he a great statesman, but a forward thinker.
LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Colin: Where Eagles Dare by Alistair McLean. I thought this book so exciting, I would have loved to have been able to write it.
LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Colin: Don’t give up. When you feel your writing is getting you down, leave it for a while, then get back to it. Remember, the impossible we can do, miracles take a little longer. Think positive and you will succeed.
Connect with Colin:



Website: http://www.colinguestauthor.com

Blog: http://www.turkmed.wordpress.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook,com/tigerman55

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Tigermanguest

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedIn.com/in/colin-john-guest

Pinterest: http://www.pininterest.com/colinguest9

Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/author/colinguest

Goodreads: http://goodreads.com/author/show/9857414


No comments:

Post a Comment