Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Author Interview with Danyelle Scroggins


LaToya: Hi Danyelle thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Danyelle: My name is Danyelle Scroggins. I was born and raised in Shreveport, Louisiana. I have lived whether years or short stay, in Japan, Corpus Christi, San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Jacksonville, Florida. I guess you can say I’m well rounded thanks to the United States Navy. I am the Senior Pastor at New Vessels Ministries North and I am married to the Founder of New Vessels Ministries, Pastor Reynard Scroggins. I have a degree in Psychology, in Psychology & Biblical Studies, and I am presently working on a Master’s in Religious Education. I am the mother of two daughters who are college graduates and are both working on Master’s and a son, who will be graduating college in December 2016, I have two sons by marriage, and expecting my first grandchild this year. I have been writing since I was a little girl and published my first book in 2003.

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Danyelle: My greatest ambition concerning my writing is to reach those who may have questions concerning whether Jesus is Lord. My books are an extension of my ministry, written to touch the hearts and minds of the saved and the lost.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Danyelle: The late Danielle Steels & Francis Raye inspired me, and now I really look up to Author Victoria Christopher Murray & Joyce Meyers.

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Danyelle: I’m working on two books which are sequels to stories in The Power Series: Pain, Restoration, Love, & Forgiving and I am promoting Put It In Ink, my latest release.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Danyelle: My genre is Christian or Inspirational Fiction and I write in this genre because my books are again, an extension of my ministry. I love Romance and my books often show how love transpires between those who love God, but I decided I wanted to give people what I needed when I was a single woman, a book with minimum references to sex.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Danyelle: “My life revealed, so others, can be healed.”

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Danyelle: The lead actress would be Emayatzy Corinealdi.

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Danyelle: When I was in the 5th Grade at Queensborough Elementary, reading Amelia Bedelia books by Peggy & Herman Parish, I knew I wanted to write. Anything that made me as happy as these books made me, I wanted to do the same for someone else one day.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Danyelle: I would consider myself a full-time writer, because I write every day except Sunday.

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Danyelle: When I wake up, after morning hygiene routines, prayer, and breakfast, I go to work (write). I try to do an eight-hour day. If I need to do some church activities during the week, I make up the time I lost after 10 PM.

Danyelle: I learned that word counting was not a good goal for me, but rather to finish a beginning or ending to a chapter. Therefore, if I begin a chapter on Monday, I try with all of my might to be finished no later than Wednesday.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Danyelle: I have gotten book ideas through dreams, through my life, and through situations that I encounter at church, in class, or in my surroundings.

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
Danyelle: I am all things charted. I believe in putting what I have envisioned in a plan. Then, I try to follow my plan. It is like my new book, if you have a vision or dream, you need to Put It In Ink.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Danyelle: I have learned that writing is an art and although it cannot be rushed, it must be nurtured and presented as art. Your very own art; not like anyone else’s, but your own.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Danyelle: The hardest thing about writing to me is being able to stay within my guidelines and not be so all over the place.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Danyelle: The editing of my latest book, Put It In Ink was the hardest. I took classes and went over and beyond to make sure it flowed and was free of those catchy errors, I missed in other books.

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Danyelle: The easiest thing about writing is embracing my characters. I have learned to treat them as if they are a part of my family.

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
It truly varies, but I try not to spend more than two to three months on a project.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
In 5 years, I would like to have put out at least six more books and be a published children’s author as well.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Danyelle: Be authentic! When God created you, He had purpose in mind. You were the piece of His puzzle meant to perform and fit exactly, where you were created to fit. When you embrace someone else’s life instead of your own, you destroy the puzzle as God has created it.

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Danyelle: One day, I will be so enthralled to meet Jesus. You know it is like having the smartest person you’ve ever known sitting before you, and the only question you have to ask may seem stupid to someone else, but is your best shot at understanding that which you have questioned.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Danyelle: I would have loved to be one of the authors of a book of the Bible, written from the point of view of a liberated woman, who loved Jesus.

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Danyelle: I would tell them, never, ever give up. I was denied by all kinds of publishers, but I never gave up. I created my own publishing house and now own my very own catalog. To someone it may seem crazy, but to me, it proves no one can stop you but you.

Connect with : Author Danyelle Scroggins








Purchase Links:





No comments:

Post a Comment