Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Author Interview with Natasha Frazier


LaToya: Hi Natasha, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Natasha:  Most of my writing is inspirational. I started writing about ten years ago, sending encouraging devotionals to my circle of friends. It wasn’t until about four years ago that I published my first book, The Life Your Spirit Craves, A 30-Day Devotional and Journal that encourages readers to seek, accept and pursue their God-given purpose. I also enjoy reading inspirational & motivational books. I enjoy Christian fiction and clean romance as well.
Aside from writing, I am also a CPA and have worked in public accounting and the federal government. My husband and I live in the Houston, TX area with our three small children.

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Natasha: I will continue to write whatever God lays upon my heart and eventually I’d like to write my own television series. I think our society is lacking wholesome and encouraging entertainment and I’d like to be one of the people who change that. I also plan to work with my daughter to write a children’s book or two in the next couple of years. We’re really excited about that because she also enjoys reading and writing.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Natasha: Michelle Stimpson and Joel Osteen. Michelle is consistent in her writing to share Godly truths and inspire readers. Joel inspires me because he uses his platform to lift others.  No matter what I write, I want to be the kind of author to consistently point readers back to our Heavenly Father and to think about what they’ve read and determine how it can apply to their daily lives.

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Natasha: I am currently working on Shattered Vows: Love, Lies & Consequences Book III. This book in particular deals with marital infidelity. I am also working on a non-fiction book regarding financial management. It is currently untitled.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Natasha: Devotionals and Christian Fiction. I write in this genre because this is the area where I feel led to write and where I want to make an impact by encouraging readers to be the best they can be.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Natasha: Inspiring Readers One Page At a Time

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Natasha: Sanaa Lathan as Raegan and Christian Keyes as Caleb

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Natasha: I struggled with the idea for a moment in college. At one point, I was going to change my major from Accounting to English but decided against it. I also toyed with the idea again after graduate school. I started my first book in 2009 but allowed a lot of things to get in the way of me being disciplined enough to finish it. In 2011, the idea of writing a book began weighing heavily on my heart again. I prayed about it often and felt like every sermon was consistently pointing me in that direction. One time after studying my bible, I prayed and studied again. That is when I read Joshua 18:3, which says, Then Joshua asked them, “How long are you going to wait before taking possession of the remaining land the Lord, the God of your ancestors, has given to you?” Much like the Israelites in the background of that scripture text, I was making excuses and waiting on God to give me the clarity that had already been given to me, when in actuality, He was waiting on me. That is when I decided to put pen to paper.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Natasha: For now, I write part-time.

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Natasha: I generally write during nights and weekends, and my lunch break when time permits. I sometimes have time during the day but my preference is the night. For some reason, I seem to be able to concentrate a little better during that time.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Natasha: My goal is one thousand words per day. I also have a goal of spending at least one hour per day writing. In general, I usually meet or exceed my word count within this time frame, but I also end up working for more than an hour as well.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Natasha: My ideas come from dreams, personal experiences or the needs of others. I have also gotten ideas based off random comments that people have made in conversation. Actually, Shattered Vows is based off something I heard someone say.

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
Natasha: I usually jot down ideas of things that I think must happen in the story, but I don’t work to an outline. I just sit down and type and try to visualize the book as a movie and think, “What would I want to happen next if I were watching this on the big screen?” As far as non-fiction, there is sort of an outline for my devotionals, meaning each page has to have the same elements. I am currently working on my first non-fiction book that is not a devotional and I do have an outline for that.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Natasha: I’m becoming more of a story teller than having the characters talk through the story. I didn’t realize I was doing this until I received all of those red marks back from my editor with the first fiction book, which basically had to be rewritten. My feelings were hurt but it helped me as an author.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Natasha: The editing phase. After I receive the manuscript back from the editor and have to make significant changes and really think about how I want the story to go and incorporate the editor’s suggestions. I often dream about it because I’m thinking about her “red marks” so much. It’s almost as if I’m back in school.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Natasha: My latest book is The Life Your Spirit Craves for Mommies: A 52-Week Devotional and Journal. The hardest thing about writing it was making sure that the personal stories I shared in the book and the spiritual application were relatable to the reader. One of the things I’m working on is keeping my reader in mind while writing, so I constantly asked myself, “How would the reader perceive this?”

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Natasha: Just letting the words flow. That first draft is whatever you want it to be; you just need to get the words on paper.

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Natasha: A couple of months, if I’m consistent with spending time writing each day.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Natasha: I have another series that I’m going to start as soon as I’ve completed Shattered Vows. There is also a non-fiction set of devotionals that I’m working on. So in five years, I should have completed those and have helped my daughter publish her first book. I don’t want to just write more, but definitely grow as an author and be the best that I can be.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Natasha: Spend less time worrying about what others are going to think of your ideas and goals and just do it. You don’t need permission from man when you’ve already been granted permission by God. Go for it girl!

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Natasha: Oprah Winfrey. She uses her influence to build up others.

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Natasha: First, I would give them the same advice that I would give to my younger self. Second, I would tell them to take a few minutes each day and just sit down and write. It’s not about the time but developing the habit and sharpening the skill. Eventually, you will have an entire book.

Connect with Natasha:




Twitter: @cpAKAuthor

Instagram: @cpAKAuthor

LinkedIn: Natasha Frazier





No comments:

Post a Comment