Thursday, June 2, 2016

Author Interview with NiaShanta Ross



LaToya: Hi NiaShanta, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
NiaShanta :  My background is primarily in education.  I have taught English and Spanish at the high school and college level. 

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
NiaShanta : My desire is to write full time. Ideally, I would be able to teach the craft of writing to aspiring authors. 

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
NiaShanta : I love a good storyteller. I am inspired by people who make me feel their characters. Christian Fiction is my favorite genres. I have way too many to name. I'd leave out someone. 

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
NiaShanta : I am currently working on the sequel to my debut novel. I'm also working on a nonfiction/self-help piece for blended families. 

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
NiaShanta : Christian Fiction and/or Inspirational Fiction. They are meant to connect the reader to Christ. 

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
NiaShanta : Telling stories the way that they should be told. 

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
NiaShanta : Jill Scott would be amazing. There's even a reference to her in the book. If not Jill, Natalie Desselle or Brely Evans. 

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
NiaShanta : I've always loved to write. Even as a child. I knew I wanted to be a writer when I started to really become vested in telling stories on paper. 

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
NiaShanta : Part-time

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
NiaShanta : I teach high school and college English, so my time is extremely limited during the school year. I try to commit to writing during breaks from school, and in the evenings. 

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
NiaShanta : I usually flow with the stream of consciousness, and let the Spirit lead me

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
NiaShanta : A lot of my ideas come from personal experiences, or from experiences of others. 

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
NiaShanta : I want to be an outline person, but that doesn't work for me. 

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
NiaShanta : I definitely have more focus and realize that there is truly an art to writing. 

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
NiaShanta : Finding the time to do it and avoiding distractions. 

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
NiaShanta : The editing process. 

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
NiaShanta : Actually telling the story. 

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
NiaShanta : About a year. 

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
NiaShanta : Hopefully on a beach with a laptop working remotely as a full-time author. 

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
NiaShanta : Don't be so hard on yourself. You don't have to be perfect at everything. It's okay to ask for help and to have boundaries. 

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
NiaShanta : Would have loved to meet Maya Angelou. Her wisdom and experience as a writer would send chills down my spine. 

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
NiaShanta : Oooh, that's a tough one. I'll have to think about that one. 

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
NiaShanta: Foster your gift and perfect your craft. Connect and surround yourself with likeminded people. 

Connect with NiaShanta :





Facebook: NiaShanta Ross's Author Page

Twitter: @niashanta


Purchase Links:  http://amzn.to/1WuIXBu




2 comments: