Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Author Interview with Monique Guice

LaToya: Hi Monique, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Monique: Monique Bowden Guice attended Indiana University and Barry University. Presently, she is working on several books including the next story in this series. Monique plans to write and publish in several genres.

Currently, she lives in Tallahassee, Florida, with her husband. She has one child. Monique is a member to the Tallahassee Authors Network and the Writers Workshop. She would like to thank both groups for their continued support of her writing.

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Monique: Just to write and publish as much as I can while helping others get their works published as well

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Monique: Barbara Joe Williams, Melinda Michelle, Felicia Thomas, Kaycee Marshall

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Monique: The Forgotten Art of Being a Lady (a self-improvement journal)



LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Monique: I write in several genres. My first published book is a YA novel. But I am working on a non-fiction book that will be out this summer, and the next book to the YA book that is not YA. The characters in this book have matured in their relationship and are doing adult things.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Monique: What an imagination.

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Monique: The male lead would be Jason Momoa he's big and sexy as hell.  The Female lead would be some super-hot dark skinned beauty with lots of curves. I don't know anyone like that in the movies right now. They are all too skinny. I want a true plus sized beauty with no thigh gap.

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Monique: When I was in elementary school I started writing plays. By the time I was in middle school I was re-writing the books that were assigned for book reports.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Monique: Part time

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Monique: I prefer to write in the evening and late into the early morning.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Monique:  No
LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Monique: Right now it's listening and watching people. But in the past I use to get papers like the National Enquirer, back when they reported on stuff like my husband is a giant worm that lives in my backyard. Crazy stuff like that use to make me laugh for hours. Now they only report on celebrities...booo.

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
Monique:  I let my characters lead the way.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Monique: I'm over my publishing fear!

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Monique: Keeping my next writing project, a bay. Once I get the idea of what I'm working on next my mind is ready to start right then. I have to force myself to stay focused.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Monique:  My fingers being able to keep up with my mind. I didn't want to lose even one thought.

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Monique: I love to create characters and write dialog.

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Monique: I don't know. When I'm done, I'm done.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Monique: I want my publishing company to publish books for young writers.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Monique: To step out on faith

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Monique: I've thought on this for years...we even use to play the game at work...and I have never been able to come up with one person. Sorry.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Monique: I don't know. I spent years rewriting books when I was in school so I never got a good grade on book reports because I didn't follow the instructions and report on the book

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Monique: Put the words down as they come to you. There is plenty of time later to edit them into the story you want to tell.

Connect with Monique:


Facebook: Monique Bowden or Author MB Guice

Twitter: @mbguice

LinkedIn: Monique Bowden


Goodreads: mgbuice

Purchase Link



No comments:

Post a Comment