Thursday, December 8, 2016

Author Interview with L. Loren

LaToya: Hi L. Loren, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Hi LaToya and thank you for having me. I am a former call center supervisor, who after years of being in the corporate world, decided to live my dream of becoming a writer. I have been married to my husband/best friend for 16 years. I love to travel.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
They say you should dream big so I would love to see my books become best sellers and eventually transition them from print to the big screen.

Which writers inspire you?
There are too many to name, but if I have to give you a few I would list Maya Angelou, Octavia Butler, Twyla Turner, Zora Neale Hurston and Edgar Allan Poe.

What are you working on at the minute?
I recently released my first series. It is a three book series called ‘The WanderLynn Experience’.  Book 1, ‘The Layover’ was released in October. Book 2, ‘Island Adventures’ was released in November, and Book 3 ‘Destination Home’ was released December 4th. Currently I am working on another series about three sisters. The working title is the ‘Triple Threat Series’, the first of which will be ‘Egyptian Nights’ that will be released the beginning of 2017.

What genre are your books and why?
I have chosen to write erotic novels. I decided to write in this genre after reading a series by Twyla Turner called ‘The Damaged Souls Series’. I had never read an erotic novel before, but once I read her work I was hooked. After finishing the series I immediately wanted to write stories like that. Something called to me from within so I discussed it with my husband and started writing.

In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
“Writer of LoveRotica, love stories with an edge of sexy!”

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Oh that’s easy. When I started writing I envisioned Hugh Jackman as my leading man, Connor Wyatt and model Toccara Jones as the leading lady, Lynn Sutton.

When did you decide to become a writer?
I have always wanted to be a writer deep down, but I did not find the courage to do so until 2014. When I was younger I enjoyed making up stories, but never allowed anyone to read them. I also wrote poetry for myself. I started to share my words with my husband and he encouraged me to come out of my shell.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
I currently write full-time.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I usually start my process around 9 a.m. by reading. I review news and social media for sources of inspiration. I also use that time to jot down any dreams I may have had from the night before. Depending on my schedule or self-imposed deadlines, I try to write for a minimum of four hours/day. It may be a blog or character building or it may be the actual manuscript that I work on, but I am writing. I also make time to update my social media accounts and interact with my readers. Most days I also try to read at least an hour/day.

Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
I do not set hard goals for word counts. I am more of a free spirit and find that my creativity flows better if I do not set limits. Tentatively I have expectations, but I never say to myself, “Today you will write 5000 words.” Some days I write well over that amount, but other days the inspiration is not there and on those days I choose to read more.

Where do your ideas come from?
A lot of my ideas come to me in my dreams. Sometimes I can be having a conversation and ideas pop into my head, or listening to music. I find myself inspired by almost everything around me.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I always start with an outline, because I like to have a little structure, but I do not tie myself to it. If my characters take a different turn then I follow their lead. the outline is more of a reference for me.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
I am just starting out really, but I have noticed that I am more open to different ideas. I have my own way of doing things sometimes and I have learned from my fellow authors different ways to accomplish my goals. Talking with others has shown me ways to think outside of my little box and expand my way of thinking.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
The most difficult thing about writing to me is getting all of my stories out. You have no idea how many stories are trying to get out. I have so many notes it is ridiculous.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Because it is my first time writing erotica, the most difficult thing for me was getting over the nerves of presenting it to my family. I had a hard time reading it out loud to my husband, a man who I have been intimate with for over 20 years. It is one thing to be intimate with him, but it was a whole other deal reading to him the fantasy world that developed in my mind.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
The easiest thing is connecting to my characters. Once I create them, I feel as if they are real in a way. I love developing their personalities, giving them cool jobs and little quirks.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
I can’t really tell you a specific amount of time. When the words are flowing it doesn’t take long, but if I need a break it may delay the process. I learned that taking a break from writing is just as important as actually sitting down to write. Creativity flows better when you step away for a bit and then go back. I still set deadlines, but sometimes they need to be adjusted.

Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
In five years’ time I see myself on a movie set helping to turn one of my best selling creations into a blockbuster film; walking with my husband on the red carpet in LA at the premier and watching it on the big screen to critical acclaim.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
I would tell my younger self to stop being so shy and do what you love to do. Stop waiting for permission and take charge of your life. You are the only one who can give yourself permission to be successful.

Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
I would like to meet Maya Angelou. I adore her books and her wisdom was unmatched. I could sit for hours chatting with her and listening to her stories. I saw a show she did with Dave Chappelle called Iconoclast and I kept saying to myself, this should be you. Dave got to spend the day talking with her in her home. Not only did she welcome him and give advice, she listened to what he had to say and learned from him as well.  

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
If I could have written any book I think it would have been ‘Their Eyes Were Watching God’ by Zora Neale Hurston. That, in my opinion, was an epic love story mixed with a coming of age tale. In the book Janie was a twice married woman, once divorced and once widowed, but in her life she never got to live until she met Teacake. She had so much living to do and he allowed her to be free. That book speaks to me on so many levels.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Find the story that is within you and write. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. You will always have critics, but you can’t let that stop you from achieving your goals.

Connect with : L. Loren

Website: http://lisawtetting.com/loverotica/
Blog: http://llorenwriter.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/l.lorenwriter/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/@rebirthoflisa/
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/rebirthoflisa/
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B01MSTKUBI
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/lloren

Purchase Links
Island Adventures:


No comments:

Post a Comment