Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Author Interview with Y. M. Sheree


Hi Y.M. Sheree, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Y. M. Sheree is an Army veteran who currently resides in Portsmouth, Virginia. She is a proud mother of two daughters, one a CNA and currently in College and the other is serving in the U.S. Army. A graduate of Colorado Technical University she has received two MBAs, one in Business Administration and the other in Project Management. While in High School, a short story written about, King Author gained attention of the librarians. She switched her knight to a female and the damsel had been a male. Her best friend co-authored a book when they attended High School together.

While stationed in Germany, she tried her hand at poetry that she sent to a publishing company that turned her down stating her writing was journal entries and not poetry in 2009.  Her spirit crushed she put her pen down and stopped writing until 2015. Mary B. Morrison challenged aspiring writers to write a book in ninety days on Facebook. Y.M. Sheree took the challenge as a hobby to pass her time not knowing that later that year her first published work Purple Haze would release in October 2015. She now has three published books on Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com, Purple Haze, Purple Haze 2, The Switch Up, and her new release Fantasy Island will be released September 2016.

In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music, playing video games on her Xbox one, and she is a diehard Baltimore Ravens fan and Golden State Warriors. Known for writing Erotica she plans on being versatile and write in different genres.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I want to be an author under a big publishing house and have at least one of my books published by Harlequin.

Which writers inspire you?
I would have to say Brenda Jackson, Mary B Morrison, and Zane to name a few. I love their work ethic.

What are you working on at the minute?
I just finished my fourth book Fantasy Island and sent it to my publisher.

What genre are your books and why?
My Purple Haze series is Erotic Interracial Romance, The Switch Up is a Romance Family Drama, and Fantasy Island is Erotica. I began writing Purple Haze as a drama but it turned into the Erotica because it flowed that way. The Switch Up I wanted to prove that I could write more than just Erotica. Fantasy Island is my last erotica until I finish my Purple Haze series. I want to mix up my writing now.

In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Not your ordinary and never boring.

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
To be honest I have no idea because my last book has four main characters and I never thought about it.

When did you decide to become a writer?
Last April when I joined a write your book in 90 days’ challenge by Mary B Morrison.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
I am a full-time author.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
I really don't have a certain time that I write. Most of the time I like to write late at night when everyone is asleep and the house is quiet.

Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day?
I downloaded the writometer app that my editor suggested and my goal is set to 1,500 words.

Where do your ideas come from?
Some come from TV shows, songs, movies, sometimes posts on Facebook.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
I don't write from an outline but I do jot down ideas but mostly I just write how the story flows.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
I think my ideas for storylines are broadening more because I don't want to be placed in a box as an author who is only known for certain genres.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
There is a lot such as staying on track with your daily word count and trying not to let life out shadow my writing just to name a few.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
The numerous characters that I had in the book because they had their own stories and other characters in their story, which made it difficult. It was a challenge that I set for myself and I am used to writing forty thousand word books and this one is fifty-six thousand words.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
I would have to say making my characters come to life on the pages.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
I think the longest is about five months for me.

Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
I would like to see myself as a household name with one of my books turned into a movie or TV show.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
Keep pushing and don't let the naysayers tell you what you can't do.

Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
My all time favorite the Purple One Prince. He was one of a kind and so very talented.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
I would have to say the Lord of the Rings series because it was great storytelling and unique.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
DO your research on everything. It is nice to have assistance but it is always better to learn on your own. Also, don't jump to join any publisher because a lot of them don't care about their authors just the money you can make them. Don't be afraid to invest in your brand.

Connect with : Y.M. Sheree




Facebook:




Twitter:  @ymsheree




Purple Haze 1




Purple Haze 2



The Switch Up





2 comments: