Thursday, December 10, 2015

Author Interview with Jamesina Greene

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Jamesina Greene Author of A Mother's Cry


My name is Jamesina Greene. I'm named after my father, James (smile.)  I was raised in a very strict Christian home and often writing was my only was to express myself.

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Jamesina: My ambitions for my writing is not so much to make it my whole career. I know that writing plays an intricate part in what I do, but I believe that speaking engagements and personal interaction with others is just as important as my writing.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Jamesina: I am inspired by a variety of Writers. I have loved to read books since I learned the power of the written word. I just finished a book about a Russian mother who lived most of her adult life without her family knowing her true identity. That book touched my soul. Diversity in writing is what inspires me.

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Jamesina: Currently, I am working on three Literary projects. I am writing my first Children's Book; my first Novel and my first Daily Devotional Book.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Jamesina: The books that I have published at this time are Non-Fiction. I used these to give readers brief insights into my heart and spirit.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Jamesina: In 10 words or less, the quote that describes me and. my writing is: "Live it. Feel it.  Write it."

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Jamesina: As none of my currently published are Fiction, I can't picture an Actress in them. However, the Novel that I'm working on, I can envision Debbi Morgan as my main character.

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Jamesina: I don't know if there is a distinct time when I decided to become a Writer. As far back as I can remember, I have written. I've written songs, plays, manuals and books. Writing is what I do most days.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Jamesina: Due to medical complications, I am currently writing part-time. As much as I feel up to, I'm always writing something.

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Jamesina: As far as a writing routine, I don't really have one. I generally write as I am inspired to do so. When an idea comes to me, I begin an Outline and proceed from there.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Jamesina: No, I don't aim for a daily word count. I write until I do not feel like writing anymore that day.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Jamesina: The ideas for my books come from my life experiences. I also get ideas from observing the experiences of others. I have always been known for studying people and human behavior. That makes for great book material (smile).

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
Jamesina: I definitely use an Outline when I write. My thoughts jump all over the place if I don't. An Outline helps me to maintain a degree of focus.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Jamesina: I think that I have evolved creatively in that I'm much more open to the reality of life. Earlier in my writing, I felt I needed to limit my writing to what people in my circle would accept from me. I don't feel that way anymore. Some of the story ideas I'm working on, are going to be shockers.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Jamesina: The hardest thing about writing, for me, is staying focused on one story. As I've said before, my brain seems to stay in overload.  I even wake up during the night and jot down story ideas. Seriously.

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Jamesina: I don't really have an average length of time to write a book. Maybe as I continue with my healing and recovery, that will change.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Jamesina: In five years, I see myself operating my organization, "A Mother's Cry", nationwide; operating my other organization, "Destne Enterprises", through which all of my literary works will be published.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Jamesina: The advice that I would give my younger self is to not allow other people's hatred for you to cause you to hate yourself.

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Jamesina: The famous person that I would like to meet, is Debbi Morgan.  My ninth grade Math teacher used to tell me that I looked like her and that made me feel pretty.  After reading her Memoir, I would absolutely love to meet her. I feel a spiritual connection with her.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Jamesina: If I could have been the original Author of a book, it would have been, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings", by Maya Angelou.  I relate to many of the experiences shared in that book and even, for a period of time, I wouldn't speak because I felt my voice was unimportant and useless.

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Jamesina: The main piece of advice I could give to aspiring Writers, is to maintain their individuality in their writing. Learn from others, but always show the uniqueness of you.

Connect with Jamesina


Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your interview, Jamesina. I really like the quote: "Live it. Feel it. Write it."

    I also liked your aspiring writer advice: always show the uniqueness of you.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Joy and I have to agree with you Jamesina is AMAZING.

      Delete