Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Author Interview with W Parks Brigham


LaToya: Hi W Parks, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
W Parks:  Hello La Toya, thank you for inviting me.  I’m a retired educator of 35 plus years with two adult daughters.  I’m fortunate to come from a family of college graduates, so there was no doubt I too would get a college education. This was instilled in me and my six siblings while growing up. Naturally, it was passed on to my daughters and my brothers and sisters children. 

I live a simple and happy life in Houston Texas where I received my education in the neighborhood schools. As a matter of fact, I bought a house across the street from where I grew up. I watched this house as a teenager and now it’s all mine.  I still attend the church I grew in, Cloverland Church Of Christ where my brother is the minister. I’ve been an active member teaching Sunday school, Bible classes, mentoring and encouraging young sisters in fulfilling their Christian walk.

In my younger days sewing was my passion until I began to suffer from arthritis.  Due to my size, I began making my own clothes because I wanted to look like the other girls. Later, I designed my clothes so I wouldn’t look like everybody else.  I’ve also designed and made some of the most beautiful wedding and prom dresses.  I also made little girl dresses with matching socks and bows. Now I use my creativity with writing which has become my passion. I do enjoy old school ballads, old sitcoms, and working word search and Sudoku puzzles.

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
W Parks:  My ambitions are simple and two-fold.  One, I would like to continue writing sweet romance for young to older adults.  Two, I would like to attract as many readers as I can who enjoy reading stories with just enough drama, suspense, twist and turns, tasteful intimate scenes, and of course romance. 

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
W Parks: I am inspired by many seasoned writers whom I was blessed to meet, such as Francis Ray, Brenda Jackson, Eboni Snoe, Donna Hill, J California Cooper, just to name a few, as well as the young writers.  Their determination and enthusiasm has been my inspiration in itself and has kept me motivated.

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
W Parks: Really, at this very minute, I’m working on two stories. One is entitled A Second Chance featuring a couple in their mid-thirties and the second is called I’ve Been Here All Along, featuring a couple over 50 which will be the second book from my series The Golden Years.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
W Parks:  Because of the story elements in my books, they are a mixture of women fiction and contemporary Christian romance.  Why, first of all that’s what I like to read and second, my stories consist of couples with real life issues which includes just enough drama, suspense, twist and turns, tasteful intimate scenes, and of course romance to grasp and hold your interest.   

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
W Parks: Stories are sprinkled with just enough of my sweetness.
LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
W Parks: IT’S NEVER TOO LATE FOR LOVE… I would like to see Debbie Morgan or Jennifer Lewis for Delana Crawford and Dennis Haysbert or Blair Underwood for Charles Johnson.

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
W Parks: When I became tired of reading stories where the heroine was always a size eight or smaller. If I was tired surely there were others. Therefore, I decided to pen my first novel featuring a plus-size heroine and the rest is history.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
W Parks: I write full-time.

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
W Parks: I like to write at night. It seems my creative juices flows better during that time. Of course since my retirement, if I have  

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
W Parks:  No, I do not put a limit or time frame on my writing.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
W Parks: My ideas can come from anywhere, my vivid imagination, songs, real life issues, family, and friends.

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
W Parks:  I write with a plot or an idea in mine and sometimes both allowing the story to unfold with the characters having full reign at times.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
W Parks: That’s a hard question.  I think I can safely say my creativity is still flowing with a fresh new twist here and there. So for the moment, I’m good.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
W Parks: For me, it varies…it could be getting started with a snappy beginning, an unforgettable cute ending, and trying not to over do it with my details.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
W Parks: My last book was very easy. I made up in my mine from the beginning it was going to be short and sweet.  

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
W Parks: Coming up with the idea, or plot, characters’ names, and the location and setting of the story.
LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
W Parks: It takes anywhere to three to six months. However, the story I’m working on now is taking longer than any of the others. While writing my current story I’ve had to stop and write notes on three others. I’m way over do!

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
W Parks:  I would like to reword this question a bit and say I pray to God that I am still with the living. Next, I would like to see myself doing what I love and enjoying doing alone with giving a helping hand to other aspiring authors. Maybe have my own Blog page and on-line book club.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
W Parks: Don’t stop writing! Figure out how you can write, teach, and take care of your girls.
LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
W Parks:  I would love to meet The Obamas because I think they are a beautiful couple and wonderful role model for all families. They have me so proud.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
W Parks: Waiting to Exhale, simply because of the money!

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
W Parks: Read the genre you are interested in writing and start writing! During the process interact with groups and authors to guide you in the right direction for promoting your work. By all means, don’t get overly anxious and make common mistakes that most of us have done that could have been avoided.

Connect with W Parks  :


Facebook: Author W. Parks Brigham

Amazon Author Page: www.amazon.com./-/e/B00G4IPAMU

Purchase Links





Who Am I Suppose To Love http://amzn.com/B00Q7X23OU

Surviving The Storm http://amzn.com/B00W4QV9XK

Allanville Matchmakers Series



Book # 1 You Were Meant For Me… http://amzn.com/B00MCWKZEA

Book #2 You Belong To Me A novella http://amzn.com/B00Q7XXNMG

Book # 3 No Strings Attached… http://amzn.com/B00U0NZQDI

Book # 4 You’re The One For Me… http://amzn.com/B016APUOLS


Book # 5 We Belong Together…http://amzn.com/B0181L5PO0


It’s Never Too Late For Love… A novella from The Golden Years Series Book #1



No comments:

Post a Comment