Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Author Interview with Tristan Jackson


Hi Tristan, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
My name is Tristan Jackson from Houston, Texas. Author Tristan Jackson was born and raised in a section of Houston, Texas called 4th ward. She by having faith, hope, and perseverance obtained a Bachelors of Business Administration in Human Resource Management (2009) and Masters of Public Administration (2013) from Lamar University. Raised by a single parent, she determined to break the generational curses in her family.  

For the last 7 years, she has worked in Higher education as an Academic Advisor. Making sure that every student she comes in contact is aware of every opportunity available to them in college.  
God has allowed her the gift of writing. Though the path of Tristan Jackson life remains clouded by the mysterious mist of the future, of one thing she is sure:  no matter what her priorities in life may become, she will always keep God first.

She prays through her books, academic advising, speaking and helping, I want to inspire everyone to reach their dreams. I want to reach the silent voices in the world that are searching for hope. I am a witness to God’s favor and how you can rise above your situation.   In addition to serving as a mentor and coach in her role as an academic advisor, Ms. Jackson is active in her community through her participation in hosting events like, Back to School Prayer Care of Love (toiletry drive for seniors), Pre-Mother’s Day Dinner and College 101 prep event.

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
My ambitions for my writing career is one day make New York Best Sellers list. One day, I hope to open a book store. Also, I want to work with low-income youth to help them read, write and publish their own stories. To feel the flow and the passion to my writing. To share my knowledge for others to feel better. 

Which writers inspire you?
Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey, James Baldwin, and Tyler Perry

What are you working on at the minute?
currently working on my first novel entitled: Secret Church Wives-Sinful Desires

What genre are your books and why?
All of my books are inspirational and motivational. Why I love to write. Everyone is different so obviously, my reasons are going to be different from others. Writing isn’t just putting words on a page or screen, it’s all of my thoughts, feelings, and ideas displayed in a coherent way; I do this not only for others but for myself. I write because it’s the best, and sometimes the only way, to fully understand what I’m feeling and why. I write to make the things that don’t make sense a little more comprehensible. I write to help make myself feel better. I write to inspire and motivate dreamers. I write to leave a legacy for my future children and next generation.  I write to motivate people and to help make them feel better about themselves. I write in hopes that others will realize that they really are not as alone as they may feel. I write because the thought of making just one person feel better, or happier or simply just smile, makes me happy.

In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Never Give Up, Perseverance, Dreamer

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
For my first novel, I would love for Oprah Winfrey to be the lead character. Maya Angelou to narrate the novel and Tyler Perry to direct the movie.

When did you decide to become a writer?
I became a writer in 2012

Do you write full-time or part-time?
Part-time

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
My full-time job is an Academic Advisor at a local University. God gives me the vision to write at crazy times. I usually like to write at the end of the day or Sunday evening.

Do you aim for a set number of words/pages per day?
My number I aim for per day is about 500-1000 words.

Where do your ideas come from?
My ideas to write come from God, my personal experiences, family members, and church.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just to see where an idea takes you?
Work from an outline.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Since 2015, when I released my first book. I would have never imagined, that I would have written 4 books. 

What is the hardest thing about writing?
There are a LOT of challenging things about writing, as I’m currently working on one. I’m on page 75 and am still far from done and I don't mean length-wise. In my opinion, creating complex characters Organizing is definitely the most difficult for me. After that, deciding the main plot would be second. that win over an audience is. For me, the hardest thing is staying focused.  

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Love writing but it still works. I find the hardest thing to writing is to spill all the juicy secrets in book 1. The novel is a three-part series.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
For me, the easiest part is writing the rough draft. Once I have characters and a plot outline I can write the rough draft of a novel in four to six weeks and I enjoy doing it. What happens before and after writing the rough draft is far more difficult and time-consuming.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
It takes me about 6 months to write a book from start to publishing.

Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
I see myself in 5 years opening a publishing company, on New York Best Sellers list, and writing my 20th book.

What advice would you give to your younger self?
would stay a kid forever!! Real friends will be there for the long haul. Don't sweat the small stuff! Life as an adult is much more difficult. Have fun! Don’t follow the crowd. You were born 2 lead! Don't let others dampen your passion! Passion is what will drive you to live your life to the fullest and enjoy what you do.

Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
would love to meet Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
wish, I was the original author For colored girls who have considered suicide/When the rainbow is enuf by Ntozake Shange. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Maya Angelou. Oprah Winfrey. Just like the like my favorite author and writers, they didn’t allow their upbringing stop them from writing. Writing isn’t just putting words on a page or screen, it’s all of my thoughts, feelings, and ideas displayed in a coherent way; I do this not only for others but for myself. I write because it’s the best, and sometimes the only way, to fully understand what I’m feeling and why. better, or happier or simply just smile, makes me happy.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Write what you're passionate about not what's on trend. Develop a thick skin. There will be rejections. Those are only a few people's opinions. When someone tries to close a door on you, kick it in. Becoming a published writer isn't easy and taking no for an answer will get you nowhere fast. I would take writing classes. Feedback from both teachers and your peers is essential. Read a lot and often. And read different genres, not just the one you write. The more you can develop your story before you write it, the easier it will be. Write often. Even if it's not your "work-in-progress" it will get the juices flowing Set realistic goals for your writing.

Connect with Tristan:



Facebook: TJInspires

Twitter: Tristan Jackson



Goodreads: Author Tristan Jackson

Purchase Links: www.tjinspires.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment