Thursday, January 14, 2016

Author Interview with Author Imani



LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Author Imani: I want to write novels that become best sellers. I want to explore more than just drama in urban fiction. I would love to bring crime, thrillers, mystery and suspense all mingled with romance to the urban world. I want my writing to come across as different and unique.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Author Imani: I’m inspired by Zane, James Patterson, Carl Weber, Lisa Jackson and Kiki Swinson

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Author Imani: I’m currently working on a novel called Deception Unleashed.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Author Imani: My books are urban fiction. I won’t say it’s because I’m the most comfortable writing in this genre because I would love to challenge myself to step outside my comfort zone, but for now, this is where my desire is.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Author Imani: I don’t have a quote that I can create for myself, but I know a quote that best describes me: Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing by Benjamin Franklin and that’s me in a nutshell. I either write something someone wants to read or find something that would inspire to write. I would have it no other way.

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Author Imani: The leading character is London Forrester and she would be played by Jurnee Smollet-Bell from the movie Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Author Imani: I’ve been writing since I was a little girl, but I didn’t take it seriously until I was in my late teens, but even then, I was too scared to do something with what I wrote.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Author Imani: For now, I write part-time

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Author Imani: I write anytime during the day. On my lunch break, in the evening or into the late hours of the night. It depends because sometimes, I just can’t turn it off once the words start flowing.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Author Imani: I didn’t use to until recently. I started challenging myself to do 5K to 10K per day. Sometimes, I’m able to accomplish that goal. Other times, not so much.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Author Imani: Sometimes from my favorite TV shows Revenge, Criminal Minds, CSI Miami or Law and Order SVU. Even lifetime movies get my creative juices flowing.

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you
Author Imani: Normally, I would just let an idea take me, but recently, I started working better off of outlines.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Author Imani: I think I’ve gotten better with show versus telling a story and I think my characters are well developed. Also, with every book, my writing gets better.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Author Imani: Promoting and letting my voice be heard.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Author Imani: My latest book details someone who is psychotic and has Histrionic Personality Disorder. I can write about a crazy person, but if I’m going to detail someone with any personality disorder, I want to get it right. It’s more to it than someone who is crazy. I have been doing a lot of research on it.
  
LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Author Imani: Honestly, there is nothing I consider easy about writing. Writing is hard work in itself and could easily become a full time job - but a job I enjoy doing.

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Author Imani:  The first book took a year. Lovin’ the Enemy took a year as well only because I would go over it and over it. Take out what doesn’t work and add what does. It took me awhile before I was completely satisfied with it. Lovin’ the Enemy has a part 2 and it took me 3 months to write that. For me, every book has been different.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Author Imani: I see myself as a well-known and well established author with a few best sellers under her belt

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Author Imani: If making it as an author was easy, then you’re doing something wrong.

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Author Imani:  I will like to meet the Mowry twins, Tamera and Tia (perfect example of people who didn’t turn away from God even after fame). I’d also like to meet Tyler Perry

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Author Imani: I would have to say Addicted by Zane. I love Zane anyway, and I love her writing style. Her books are page turners, but even though I read this book maybe a year ago, I still remember the story line. It was the type that made you mad at the character as well as feel sorry for them and even made you shed a few tears. That’s the kind of book I love to write.

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Author Imani: Stay true to yourself. Write what you want to write. Don’t try to please people. Disappointments and discouragement are inevitable in this industry, but don’t let it get to you because you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. He gave you the talent so He will see to it that you make it all the way to the finish line.


Connect with Author Imani:






Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.


No comments:

Post a Comment