Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Author Interview with Dominique


LaToya: Hi Dominique, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Dominique:  I am a published author of 15 books. I write in the genres of poetry, inspiration, mystery and suspense and Urban/Christian Fiction. I am the founder of PEN’Ashe Magazine and Diamond M’Press Publications.

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Dominique:  Writing everyday...continuing to put out great work.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Dominique: James Patterson, Joy Deja King and Michael Connelly.

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Dominique: I am finishing up the second book in my Scarlett Fry Series. I will be releasing the final installment in my Concealed Betrayal Series and working on a movie script

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Dominique: My books are in inspiration, poetry, mystery suspense and Urban/Christian Fiction. These are all genres I enjoy reading in and poetry is just personal for me.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Dominique: Relatable stories that leave you wanting more

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Dominique: Probably Olivia Benson from SVU

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Dominique: I’ve been writing all of my life. I decided to publish in 2004

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Dominique: I write full time

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Dominique:  My publicist places my writing time on my schedule. With everything I have going on, I have to schedule my write time. But if I plan to write, I go into my office uninterrupted and grind it out.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Dominique:  Probably a set word count for the day or to reach a certain chapter

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Dominique:  LOL Everywhere and anywhere

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?
Dominique:  I love outlines. So yes I do use an outline. I do not write a book without an outline.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Dominique:   I really think my stories through. I take my time and make sure that I develop my characters into real people.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Dominique: Sitting down and writing. Actually putting in the hard work. I have stories in my head from start to finish but I gotta get them out of my head and onto a screen.


LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Dominique:   Research. I had to literally go back to school to write this book. There was so much detail. And detail is important in this genre.

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Dominique:  Coming up with great stories

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Dominique:  It depends on my motivation and what else I have going on. It could be 3 months to a year.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Dominique:  Best seller, popular magazine on newsstands and mentor more authors and writesr.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Dominique:  Slow down, enjoy the moment and stay committed.

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Dominique:  Joy Deja King. I love her as an author and publisher. I admire her work and business mind. I’d love to pick her brain.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Dominique: Maybe the Coldest Winter Ever simply because that book was so amazing!

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Dominique: Learn every area of the business. Read in your genre and never allow someone’s no to be YOUR no.
Connect with Dominique:











No comments:

Post a Comment