Thursday, February 18, 2016

Author Interview with Kandii Caine


LaToya: Hi Kandii, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Kandii:  Hello LaToya, Thank you for having me.  I’ve become a fan.

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Kandii: I want to write what I enjoy reading.  I’m grateful just to be able to live and experience my passion. I love literature.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Kandii: I’ve only written four novellas. I read everything. Walter Mosely, Zane, Anne Rice, Tananarive Due, Octavia Butler, Steven King, Jasper Fforde.  I read everything.

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Kandii: I have just released a sample portion of my erotic novella The Parting Gift.  It’s a novella in ‘The Flesh Is Weak Chronicles’ I am co-creator for that erotic series with KoKo Strokes.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Kandii: Erotica so far but I definitely see some sci-fi/paranormal erotic novels coming in the future.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Kandii: Kandii enjoys fiction about aliens, shifters, and well chiseled human males.

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Kandii: Possible could be my latest but I’d like Angela Basset or Sanaa Lathan to portray Nora Hastings in “The Younger Man.”

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Kandii: I’ve been writing since I was in high school.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Kandii: Part-time, I have a full-time job, a family but I write whenever I can.

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Kandii:  I usually write after work into the night.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Kandii:  No, I wish I was that structured. I see the story in my head like a movie and I just put it down on paper…that could mean writing until I literally fall asleep.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Kandii:  I daydream constantly. I get ideas from any situation that I’m in. I’m thinking of an alien abduction novella about a blogger who leaves a hotel after an interview with a reclusive writer…

LaToya: Do you work with an outline or plot or do you prefer just to see where an idea takes you?
Kandii:  I have just started using a scaled down outline because of the number of characters that inhabit my brain. Putting them down on paper really helps. I generally just start typing and run with my original idea.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Kandii: I’ve been published since 2013…I’m still evolving.  I’m learning about the business and I’ve learned that there is so much for me to learn. I try to be a sponge.  I have no pride and I am grateful for any advice or criticism I receive.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Kandii: I struggle with names.  I have scoured the internet and thrifts for books with the best baby name of 1986… but names for characters are difficult for me.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Kandii:  Meeting my deadline.  This year has been super busy for me. I’m trying to embrace an ideology of the deadline…but I’m such a free spirit it's hard. Also just in general writing, the novel, novella putting it down on paper just completing is always hard.

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Kandii:  The ideas… the stories come to me so easily…I really find it hard the write all the ideas down.

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Kandii:  With all that’s going one in my life full-time job, family, …a short novella can be done in three months.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Kandii:  Still Writing with pages of novels to my credit.  I’d also like to get my short stories on audio book.  I love audio books.  LaToya I’d like to be just as well read and received as Zane in five years…that’s a goal I can focus on.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Kandii:  I wish I could have started publishing my writings sooner. I would tell myself to believe in my gift and share it.

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Kandii:  I wanted to meet Maya Angelou…because her writing moved me.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Kandii: Hmmm, any book … The Temple of my Familiar by Alice Walker.  It is an empowering novel about women’s strength/wisdom and how we’ve been seduced and tricked into giving it up.  Also, it’s about Celie’s ancestors.  It’s a wonderful read.

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Kandii: Write…find time to write and finish the novel. Do the work, then repeat with the next story…over and over again.
Connect with Kandii:



Amazon Author Page: http://author.to/kandii.caine

Purchase Links

The Back Breaker http://mybook.to/TBB

Emba’s Tale http://mybook.to/ET

The Younger Man http://mybook.to/TYM

The Parting Gift Part 1 Http://myBook.to/TPGPone 

No comments:

Post a Comment