Thursday, March 24, 2016

Author Interview: Patricia Saunders


LaToya: Hi Patricia, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Patricia: Patricia A. Saunders resides in the San Francisco Bay Area. She holds a Masters in Management from the University of Phoenix. After the passing of her mother who had Alzheimer's, Patricia decided that all the words she had kept to herself should be released. She became a self-published author, releasing her books of poems, Through the Fire (2012), Loving Me (2013), and Let It Rain (2014). Patricia has collaborated with other authors on various books. She is a motivational speaker who travels the country sharing her story of being a caregiver, having faith, and surviving through her circumstances. She works as a supervisor for a corporate organization. In her spare time, Patricia enjoys writing poetry, traveling, and wine tasting.
LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Patricia:  I want to write a book a year and want to challenge myself to write a non-fiction novel. I have a goal to attend an African American Writer’s Workshop to learn from others and challenge myself to become better.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Patricia: Maya Angelou

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Patricia: I am currently getting ready to release my fourth book This Too Shall Pass.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Patricia: Poetry. I write poetry as expression of what impacts my spirit.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Patricia: Change your perspective and look for the lesson in everything.

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Patricia:  Oprah Winfrey

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Patricia: Seriously in 2008 it was a healing process for myself after losing everything.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Patricia: I write part time due to I have a very demanding full-time job and it’s my escape to write.

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Patricia:  I normally write in the evening. I write titles throughout the day when something happens and let the words flow to paper with music softly playing.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Patricia:  I aim for 10,000 words. If a reader if going to purchase my book I want it to be worth the amount of money they paid that they feel satisfied.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Patricia:  Media, family, friends, personal experiences.

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you
Patricia:  Since it is poetry I write various poems and compile them into a manuscript. I will rearrange and then do the contents last. I let it happen naturally.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Patricia:  I listen to my readers who tell me what they liked in a book, I write more visually so that the reader can visualize the experience and relate.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Patricia: Sharing personal experiences and meeting the reader’s expectation.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Patricia:   The latest book touches on faith, relationships, and when I doubted God. Sharing those poems scratched the surface again for myself and I wept throughout writing.

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Patricia:  Writing about love

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Patricia:  one year

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Patricia:  Traveling and speaking about books about overcoming the storm and motivational speaking.

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Patricia:  The storm will approach know that you will make it through.

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Patricia  :  Maya Angelou because her experiences in the world impact her writing and she evolved to be the poet for the White House to ask her what advice would she give . Poetry is the most beautiful form of expression yet most poets who are authors have to struggle to be recognized.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Patricia:  Steve Harvey’s Think like a Man. Being able to share what a woman means, wants, and how to build a lasting relationship from woman’s perspective.

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Patricia: Write Write and Write.

Connect with Patricia:


Patricia's Bookshelf




No comments:

Post a Comment