Thursday, March 3, 2016

Author Interview with Kanika Harris


LaToya: Hi Kanika, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Kanika:  Briefly, I am a wife, mother, sister, friend, and entrepreneur. Graduating from Little Rock Central High in 1999, I never wanted the whole college life experience. It was never a dream of mine to attend; I was content with the excuse that college wasn’t for everyone. That excuse lasted for all of a couple of years and two kids later. 

I worked in the medical field up until I decided working for self would be more beneficial and give me more time to do the things I always dreamed of doing. Writing, traveling, is available for my children's school functions, and most importantly having the final say over my schedule was the driving force to my decision.

Stepping out on faith was the hardest thing for me to do but it came around the same time as I was saved. It seems that was the deciding factor of what was to come next. Now I have to juggle my duties as choir director and praise dance coordinator at my church, also while maintaining an active writing career.

Three years later, I don’t regret taking the big leap in all aspects that make me who I love today. 

LaToya: What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Kanika: I look forward to the day where my name will have recognition just from mentioning one of my novels. I would like to see my books in all major bookstores.

LaToya: Which writers inspire you?
Kanika: Francis Ray, Brenda Jackson, and Mary B. Morrison were some of my absolute favorites from my early days of reading. Eva. J. Brock and Sylvia Hubbard are my current day favorites.

LaToya: What are you working on at the minute?
Kanika: Currently I am working on my very first erotica, novella series. Also I am working with my children and helping them complete a book in their own words.

LaToya: What genre are your books and why?
Kanika: In the beginning, I started in the urban fiction genre. The reason I started there was because that was the era of my life that I could relate with most. Now I have written in just about every genre. Whatever I can relate to in a sense, I will test it out and if there is no experience I will research.

LaToya: In 10 words or less can you create a quote that describes you and your writing?
Kanika: ‘A work in progress, striving for success.’

LaToya: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Kanika: He isn’t an actor but Daniel Royal George, personal trainer and model is who I picture as the main male character. Model Anita Marshall would be perfect for my first lady in the book.

LaToya: When did you decide to become a writer?
Kanika: I decided to take the plunge in 2011.

LaToya: Do you write full-time or part-time?
Kanika: ¾ of the time right now, I am determined to reach full-time by the summer.

LaToya: Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Kanika: The best time for me to write is between four and six in the morning.

LaToya: Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?
Kanika: I write how it flows. I do my absolute best not to force my mind to get busy.

LaToya: Where do your ideas come from?
Kanika: Book ideas come to me in visions or random thoughts. I don’t know what triggers the random thoughts but I don’t knock them. I just jot them down and if I can make sense out of them while explaining it to my sounding board (husband) that means I have a story. When it comes to a topic that I am not sure about and I don’t want to sound plum crazy, I research.

LaToya: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you
Kanika:  I prefer to see where my mind takes me when I am writing a story. A lot of times I will jot down notes while I am concentrating on other things, mainly so I won’t forget the thought.

LaToya: How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Kanika: My writing style has changed drastically. The first book I wrote in first person even against all the research I found on it not being acceptable. Mind you, this was 2011 and I was just getting my feet wet. Since my first series, I started to write in third person. I feel my vocabulary has broadened a bit, I tend to over analyze certain parts though. My skin has gotten a bit thicker since the beginning, now I tend to let the bad reviews roll off because I realized I can’t please everyone nor do I desire to.

LaToya: What is the hardest thing about writing?
Kanika: The hardest thing about writing is staying focused. At times, I am all set to write and I may have the best story ideas in mind but if my concentration sucks, then I might as well walk away until a later time. Another thing is worrying if other people see your vision as you did when you have a story in mind to write. I am my biggest critic, if I’m not convinced the doubts will fester and grow.

LaToya: What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Kanika:  The hardest thing was playing the devil’s advocate with the apple. I was the minister’s wife, neglected spouse, and best friend all in one. From church to the world all in one session, the confusion I caused between man and woman, then create a happily ever after.

LaToya: What is the easiest thing about writing?
Kanika:  I get to do what I love.

LaToya: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Kanika:  I have written a book in a 6 week time period. If I’m not mistaken that was Mo’ Better and/or Questionable Intentions. The longest time I have taken to write a book is about 6-8 months. The only reason it took me so long is because I lost interest in it or it could have been everything else that was begging to be written.

LaToya: Where can you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
Kanika:  Having a productive publishing company with several more books under my belt. Dream big or go home, right. J

LaToya: What advice would you give to your younger self?
Kanika:  Don’t change a thing because our mistakes made us the woman we are today.

LaToya: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
Kanika:  Tupac because he is the best rapper of all times. He had some serious knowledge regarding the industry and life in general.

LaToya: If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?
Kanika: I have no answer for that. All the books that I love and consider as my favorites, there isn’t anything I would change about it.

LaToya: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Kanika: Don’t give up. If you dream it, want it, and work hard for it, you can achieve it.

Connect with Kanika:






Twitter: @KKHarris_author


Pinterest: @nappyredd30





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Kanika. Feel free to stop by anytime.

      Delete